Someone mentioned to me that I should be journaling all of the work, updates, and improvements that Brett & I have been doing to the house. Well considering we bought the house in September and it’s now
March April (!)….. oops.
However, I guess now is as good as time as any to start writing. Granted, it would be more meaningful hand-written, but I type way faster and neater. I can always go back and write this. :)
Brief History of Purchasing our House:
- The night that we got engaged (June 22, 2010), we began looking for houses online! We actually didn’t even think about the wedding yet, ha! We always knew we wanted to buy a house before we got married if the Lord blessed us to so we could work on it as much as we could beforehand. However, we thought it would be around this time – March/April – before we would.
- August 2010 – We had been still looking through real estate websites, drove through neighborhoods, etc but hadn’t found one we just loved. One day on the way home from errands, my Dad and I decided to try a neighborhood we hadn’t gone through yet. Long story short, I saw it and LOVED it. As soon as I got home, I showed it to Brett and he loved it too (my requirement for the outside is that is HAD to have a front porch. So this one had that plus ya know, it was CUTE so bonus points) (Also, it is approximately 2 minutes from the school I teach at…. infinity bonus points). We saw pics of it on a the website of the inside and we were smitten. We contacted a family friend to be our realtor and set up a showing. Hook, line, sinker we LOVED it. No need to look at another house. We were sold.
- September 2010 – So, we began the process of purchasing our house! Thanks to my superstar of a Dad who worked with the loans, financial side, crunching numbers, etc, we knew we could do it then. The interest rate was at an all time low at 4 point something (love my memory!) and after some negotiating, we bought it at an awesome price and signed the paperwork on September 15th! Praise God! We. are. blessed.
- December 2010– Brett moves in! I’ll be joining him in June when we’re married. Can’t wait!
Lots of lessons learned during the whole buying house process, but I’ll save that for another day. Let’s just the lady who owned the house before us was mentally deranged
PIECE OF WORK. She left the house a WRECK. The kitchen had food still in there (including things in the fridge that were spoiled), the house was straight-up filthy, and needed some TLC.
Kind of like Linus in A Charlie Brown Christmas: “All it needed was a little love!”
Here’s a run down of what we’ve done since closing in September:
- CLEANED. We scrubbed/sprayed every inch of the house; upstairs, downstairs, bathrooms, bedrooms, hallways, kitchen, floors, EVERYWHERE! We spent a couple of days from morning to night just cleaning. Big thanks to Mom & Dad for helping on this and much more throughout this all.
- PAINTING, PAINTING and oh yeah PAINTING– Bless Brett’s heart. While he was in the job hunting process during Jan, Feb his job at home was to PAINT! I helped on weekends. EVERYTHING had to be painted . So far we’ve painted: Living room, kitchen walls, dining room walls, kitchen cabinets, hallways, master bedroom & bathroom, stairwell wall (Brett LOVED doing this :) ), both guest rooms, guest bath, and bonus room (includes THREE coats. Crimson paint. FUN times). Brett did ceiling touch-ups this weekend. Still have closets to do and a trim/door here and there but the worst is behind us!
- Outside – More cleaning of course; pulling weeds, pulling up dead bushes, landscaping, water filtering system for rain, and I’m sure more I’m forgetting. She left us lots of “presents” of junk she didn’t want around back/under the house.
- New AC/Heat – Merry Christmas to us! During the first freezing temps, we soon discovered the heat didn’t work (long story). So we gave each other a new AC/Heating Unit! A BIG “Welcome to owning a home!” for us.
- Furniture – Slowly but surely! Parents donated their couches to the needy us, got some wall decor (including HUGE artwork over fireplace that rules), coffee table, and some other pieces here and there. Hope to get by June: dining set, hutch for dining, and of course master bedroom furniture. Oh, and we replaced knobs (including 32 knobs in the kitchen!).
I’m sure there’s a lot more that we’ve done that I’m leaving out, but this post is insanely too long. I took some before shots in October when we hadn’t painted much, so one day soon I’ll take some “after” shots and that’ll be a separate post.
We both hate to paint, but we are SO blessed to have this cute house to paint. We still have a never-ending lengthy to-do list, but we get closer to the end one weekend at a time. It’s mind-boggling to think that we are homeowners (until we write the mortgage check… :)) God has shown that all things are possible! Lord-willing, this will be our first and only house.
Except for the beach house we will purchase when we win the lottery.